I made this sweet sign for my daughter’s room that we are redecorating. She absolutely loved it! You can’t see very well from my first set of pictures, but you can’t see the glitter or the details extremely well but I plan on retaking the pictures when I can take them outside. (It’s been raining today all day) I’ll post the retaken pictures then. I really hope this post finds everyone safe, Healthy and HAPPY!!! ? ?
First I started by covering my work space with my postage paper to make sure my lap desk keeps clean. Then I gathered up all of my supplies, I thought I would be using for this craft. I used 3 long paint stir sticks, wide craft sticks, paint, mod podge, glitter, stencils, E6000, wooden alphabet letters, wooden beads, twine, and various other supplies such as a glue gun, sanding block, heavy duty scissors, regular scissors, paint brushes, and a pencil.
The first step was to sand down all of the paint sticks. No one wants a splinter! Then I lined up the three paint sticks the way I liked the way they looked, and then turned them around. I took the craft sticks, after the stir sticks were lined up straight, and put a mark on one where it would hold across the three sticks, but not show the outline. So I marked it a little bit short on each side, but long enough to make sure to hold the three sticks together when I put the wood glue on to hold it. Then I used the one craft stick that I marked and marked the rest of the sticks that I used. (I used a total of 5 to hold mine) Then I put just a tad of hot glue on them and I used wood glue to hold it down.
Then I let it dry and then turned it over and painted the whole front and sides black. I dried that with a heat gun. I sat that to the side and painted my letters with two coordinating colors. This took two coats of paint, making sure each coat is dry before applying the next. Then I painted designs on top of each letter with the opposite color. I used a heat gun and dried that, then used the sanding block to make it look a little aged.
Then I did the tiny flower stencil along the bottom and top. Coloring the flowers purple and the vines green. The sides I stenciled larger flowers. After the paint on that dried, I applied a light layer of mod podge, then a very light dusting of light pink fine glitter. I let that dry, then I attached my letters to the front by applying wood glue to the back, then some hot glue to help keep it attached while the wood glue dries. To make the hanger, I used twine and wooden beads I painted different colors and used different sizes for a different look. I just tied knots between beads and used a good amount of hot glue at each end to hold it. I later went in with a staple gun and just reinforced it with a staple on each side, just in case.
- Paint Sticks – Amazon -$ 11.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081PYDJQ9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B081PYDJQ9&pd_rd_w=dkm4J&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=PGWgi&pf_rd_r=J7M83VWG66XF9F9CPMGA&pd_rd_r=096fda54-3d1d-473e-a1a8-a910a6b228ab&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyM1hWMTkyS1BKSTRUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjg4MDcyNkRBOEw2Wk9CSTRQJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMTYwMTIzNDNZRzJSVE9PUVhYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
- Letters – Hobby Lobby -$ 2.25 (each letter when you get it on a week that it’s on sale) https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Painting-Surfaces/Wood/Typewriter-Wood-Letters—1-1-4/p/22923
- Stencil – Amazon – $ 7.92 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001689VYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Paint – Walmart – $ 2.50 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Barrel-8-Fl-Oz-Black-Paint/17301366?selected=true
- Glitter – Walmart – $ 1.49 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Efavormart-Extra-Fine-Bottle-Glitter-Wholesale-For-Wedding-Party-Event-Table-Centerpieces-Decoration-Arts-and-Crafts-Supply/635649755?selected=true
- Twine – Amazon – $ 7.66 https://www.amazon.com/Foyojo-300Feet-Natural-Decoration-Ornament/dp/B01N07A7PW/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=twine&qid=1591907756&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-17
- Wooden Beads – Amazon – $ 13.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VB7V6R4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2X395MTF7CK5L&psc=1
- Mod podge – Amazon – $ 9.99 https://www.amazon.com/CS11201-Mod-Podge-8-Ounce-1-Pack/dp/B00178QQJ8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mod%2Bpodge&qid=1591907968&sr=8-1&th=1
- E6000 – Amazon – $ 2.88 https://www.amazon.com/E6000-231020-Adhesive-Precision-Tips/dp/B00JP3X9WE/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=e6000&qid=1591908018&sr=8-5
- Wood glue – Amazon – $ 3.44 https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Wood-Glue-ounce-Bottle/dp/B001E4E3KY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=wood+glue&qid=1591908111&sr=8-2