This turned out to be just the most adorable and sweet craft. I say this, because it is just so meaningful to the Momma when it’s completely finished. When this project is finished, the parents take this to the gender reveal with them. They have the canvas out with a bowl of pink paint and a bowl of blue paint. (Or whatever colors you might choose) Then the guests dip their finger in one or the other and choose what they feel the sex of the baby will be. They then write their name below their fingerprint. This is a keepsake for the parents to have forevermore. I don’t know how to draw very well at all, so I used my Cricut to create a lot of this, but I really wanted to share, because I know a lot of you can paint the tree!
First I cover my craft space with brown postage paper to protect my lap table. I gather all my supplies. I used a cheap 8×10 Dollar Tree frame, 8×10 Canvas panel, Ivory chalk paint, grey acrylic paint, and the Cricut cutouts that I made. I found a tree I liked and printed it on my Cricut. I got the tree and all the words ready to place. Then I took the frame completely apart. I painted the outside frame a cream color. That is what the parents wanted. It took 2 coats, and I used chalk paint, to make sure it adheres. I painted the frame all over, inside and out to make sure none of the gold showed through. On the inside mat of the frame, I painted it a grey color. You can use any kind of paint on this, since it’s paper product that you are painting it on. I used two coats on this as well. I let that dry completely and then put the tree and words on the 8×10 canvas panel where it would still show when I put the mat in the frame. When it all dries, you can put it back together with the glass on, but I wouldn’t close the back completely since the parents will be taking it apart so they can put the fingerprints on the tree. Be sure to remind them that they will need 2 paint colors, and a pen for the guests to sign their name underneath!
- Frame 8×10 – I got mine at Dollar Tree for $1.00, I found this online Walmart – $2.67 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-8×10-Silver-Bead/54385120
- 8×10 Canvas Panel- I got mine at Dollar Tree for $.50, but you can find them online here Walmart $4.94 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Langnickel-essentials-8-x10-Canvas-Panels-6-Pack/772454923
- White Chalk Paint – Hobby Lobby – $1.39 https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Stencils-Craft-Paints/Acrylic-Craft-Paints/White-Adirondack-Home-Decor-Chalk-Paint/p/80751091
- Grey paint – Walmart – $.50 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Barrel-Colors-White-Paint-2-Fl-Oz/20897797?selected=true
- Holographic Letters – Hobby Lobby $1.99 https://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapbook-Paper-Crafts/Stickers/Holographic-Uppercase-Alphabet-Stickers/p/80950950
- Holographic Star Stickers – Hobby Lobby $1.24 https://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapbook-Paper-Crafts/Stickers/Silver-Holographic-Star-Stickers/p/18138