Many of my crafts I would describe as “really pretty” or “adorable”. (In my own humble opinion) This one, however, I really just wanted for my own personal use in my laundry room! I love this sign, and it just spoke to me! I hope all of you are staying safe, healthy and HAPPY out there!! If you have any questions, as always, please feel free to reach out to me! *hugs*
As always, first of all, I started with a clean work space by putting postage paper from Dollar Tree on my lap table. Then I gathered all my supplies. I have a picture of most of my supplies down below. I also used a couple of baby wipes, and a Styrofoam bowl or plate is very handy as well in this project. For this project I used an unfinished piece of wood I bought at Hobby Lobby, chalk paint in Ivory, Waverly Antique Wax, a basket, some wooden beads, twine, the words I printed on my Cricut (you can use stickers as well), and a few other supplies such as paint brushes and scissors, a hot glue gun, I used a heat gun (not necessary, it just makes the project go faster) and a screw driver that I keep close buy that I bought at Harbor Freight for $4.00 that has a bunch of little bits that are perfect for a project such as this!
So first, I painted my sign ivory. It took 2 coats, I took pictures below where you can see the first coat and after the second. When painting, always be sure to let the paint dry between coats, so you don’t get lumps. I used a heat gun, but you can also use a hair dryer, or just wait it out! After the second coat was dry, I took a baby wipe, and I just lightly wiped on some of my Waverly Antique Wax around the edges and in the middle some to make it look distressed. I didn’t want it to be overly distressed. If I got too much, I could take a clean baby wipe and wipe it off, and try again. If you don’t like the way it looks, you can always just paint over it again! When I achieved the look I liked, I dried it again, and then I applied my words to the top of my sign in the center. Then I took my handy dandy little screw driver, and attached the basket in the center under the words. I sat the sign to the side, and took a plate out (I didn’t have a bowl which is MUCH easier) and painted my beads black to match the letters and basket. The black paint only took one coat, but many other paints take 2. I cut a decent piece of twine for to hold my sign/beads, you always would rather have too much, rather than not enough. After they were dry, I took my twine, and put just a dab of hot glue at the end of it and let it cool down some, then twisted it a little. This allows me to put the beads on without a struggle. On the other end, I knotted it 3 times to make sure the bead doesn’t fall off. Then I knotted it 2 times between each bead to create a space. This isn’t necessary. I just like the way it looks (and you use fewer beads). When I got to the end, I knotted it 3 times again, and then took both ends and hot glued it (I used a lot) and used E6000 to reinforce it to the back of board to hold.
- Wood Plaque – Hobby Lobby (Buy when it’s 1/2 off) – $1.79 https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Painting-Surfaces/Wood/Rectangle-Wood-Plaque—9-x-12/p/20855
- Basket – I bought mine on Amazon, but I think Dollar Tree is selling similar baskets for a dollar. They may not be the same color, but you could spray paint it, and get the same effect for much cheaper! Amazon – $9.05 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7ZAB2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Ivory Chalk Paint – Wal-Mart – $1.67 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waverly-Inspirations-2-Fl-Oz-Acrylic-Chalk-Paint-Light-Blue/168055206
- Waverly Wax (stain) – I got mine at Wal-Mart, but they were out of stock when I looked online. The closest I found online was on Amazon, but it was a brand I haven’t used. It looks to be pretty good reviews, though! Amazon $9.47 https://www.amazon.com/DecoArt-ADM8-07-36-Americana-Decor-8-Ounce/dp/B00HO036LY/ref=sr_1_12?crid=28BSBFFKRUWFQ&dchild=1&keywords=waverly+chalk+paint&qid=1588143484&sprefix=waverly+%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-12
- Wooden Beads – I buy mine in bulk from Amazon, but you can buy them from many different places. Amazon – $ 15.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VB7V6R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Black paint – Hobby Lobby (Buy when it’s 1/2 off) $1.11 https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Stencils-Craft-Paints/Acrylic-Craft-Paints/FolkArt-Acrylic-Paint/p/271
- Jute Twine – I got mine at Dollar General for $1.00, but you can also get it on Amazon – $7.19 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083LT9B4F/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B083LT9B4F&pd_rd_w=RTt0e&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=bZpIg&pf_rd_r=GM4MARJPXRVYWWWFKFGA&pd_rd_r=e0558570-285a-4053-8014-c94cbb412d52&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ01JSElJVU1HWTJBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTU2ODM2MU5YSzVTS1A2NUdGWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTA4ODUwM0VRT1FTT1RFUjhKWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
- Wording for the sign – I used my Cricut. I used “Cooper Black” font for the words “Lost Socks” and “I Love Glitter” font for “Seeking Soulmates” (Found on Dafont for free) To put the little squiggly at the front, you use the open bracket [ then to put the heart in the middle, you use the underscore _ then the squiggly at the end you use the closed bracket ] NONE of this is necessary, though! You can paint your own wording, or purchase lettering at Hobby Lobby in different colors and sizes! Hobby Lobby – $1.24 (You will need more than one set) https://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapbook-Paper-Crafts/Stickers/Black-Embossed-Alphabet-Stickers/p/14903